I was once presented with a list of people to assess for a city centre company with limited parking and not enough designated disabled spaces. All were blue card holders and the system was whoever got there first got a disabled space, their starting times got earlier and earlier with increasing daily arguments and bad feeling. It was a nightmare to assess them and in the end I had a frank discussion with the HR Director about whether they needed to increase disabled parking spaces but obviously this would decease designated senior management car parking spaces (of which there were quite a few). It gave her another headache but resolved the issue – she agreed in the end it was a management issue and unfair to delegate decision making to OH. They also agreed that a couple of spaces could be released temporarily (so staff using them had to park elsewhere) when we brought someone back to work early, after surgery etc, who needed one although the preference was to pay for a taxi instead.

Not convinced about the legal obligation statement, taxi option seems like a sensible adjustment and reasonable in the context of the bigger picture.

Karen