Hi Jane

Difficult to answer categorically.  There are plenty of people out there
with monocular vision who manage fine - particularly those born like it.
Those who lose vision in one eye later in life often find it more difficult
to adjust.

The problem is that while in the UK (and hopefully Europe and the US,
although one can never be sure) he is protected by a raft of legislation.
Some UK and US employers apply this legislation and their policies that fall
out of it to their operations in other parts of the world where legislation
is less robust.   Many of the big oil, gas and mining companies do this.
You work on one of their plants in Nigeria or China and as much as possible,
the policies and procedures to which you work are the same as in the home
country.   However others are more  inclined to follow local laws and
customs.  This can be a good thing for your employee or a bad thing.  He
could well be employed without any questions being asked and manage fine.
He could also be turned down for no justifiable reason and have no means of
challenge.    Ironically, the places who may turn him down will probably be
the safest and those where he can find work easily may be those he should
avoid.  He is probably best off contacting the companies he wants to work
for before he leaves and asking the question of their HR or OH departments.

However, the most important thing for him to do is take responsibility for
managing his own health and safety and looking after the vision he has left.
Even if he does decide to work in a quarry in some far off part of the world
that is a bit lax about safety specs and regard that sort of stuff for
sissies, he needs to wear them - and make sure he has his own supply if
necessary.

Thanks

Lindsey