Interesting that so far most of the suggestions revolve around water! How appropriate :)

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM, Jevitt, Cecilia <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I just heard a midwife here at Yale use that analogy for a mother when they were preparing for a vacuum assisted birth. She talked about the sail boats, the power boats and those boats that need a tug boat to get them to shore.

She must be a student of yours, Pat.

Cecilia Jevitt, CNM, PhD, FACNM

Associate Professor, Midwifery Specialty Coordinator

Yale University School of Nursing

PO Box 27399, West Haven, CT, 06516-7300

Office: 203-737-5609   [log in to unmask]

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Patricia Burkhardt [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 2:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Physiological birth.

Hi Sandra,
I am not a game player, but I do use an analogy when talking about birth as we midwives usually think of it to a mixed group of maternity care providers.  It is a boating concept, talking about the differences between the sail boaters and the power boaters.  Each has a destination or goal in mind but how they get there can be very different.  And, as you would guess, the 'dependence' on nature's forces for the sail boaters and the motor and throttle used by the power boater can make the time and process very different.  I can write this out in greater detail if it interests anyone.   Pat