Dear Ting

I believe you will certainly be able to persuade your school that Mandarin is not as difficult as they thought, but that it is DIFFERENT from European languages. As a fellow Mandarin Teacher, I do understand your impatience with the way Mandarin seems to be 'picked on' and not offered as 'freely' as other European languages, but please remember you are one of the luckier ones - many schools still do not offer Chinese at all. It is not at all a disaster to be offering Mandarin to able linguists from year 9. You'd have 3 years to take them through to GCSE, which is very doable.

On the other hand, please do heed the wise words of Elspeth and Mary and do not alienate your MFL colleagues: Mandarin and European languages should not be enemies, but friends. We need polyglots, more the merrier!

Liu Hong

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 23:47:01 +0800
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Debate about diffculties of learning Mandairin le
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear All

My school corrently is  proposing to indroduce the restructure of MFL in 2014 which gives a great value to Mandairn. In the propsal, students  can choose to learn Mandarin from year 8. However, at present time only both French and German are taught from this year group.

The proposal is at the consultaion stage and it is certainly objected by French and German teachers because with no doubt, if this is going to happen, Madarin will take some lesson periods from these two subjects. Their criticise about Mandarin is that it is too hard for English students to learn hence it should only be offered for able students from Year 9. I have to say this is pure and utter NONSENSE.

Next tuesday, there will be a MFL discussion meeting before a final decision is to be made. Being a Mandarin teacher I feel I need to fight my conor in that meeting.

I will be really grateful it you can drop a few lines about your possitive views based on your experience about the dificulites of learning Mandarin in your school.

Thanks for your support

Ting