Dear Colleagues,
I have finally collated all suggestions that I received from curators, owners and other interested parties on Alexander Shaw's A catalogue of the different specimens of cloth collected in the three voyages of Captain Cook, to the Southern Hemisphere; with a particular account of the manner of the manufacturing the same in the various islands of the South Seas; partly extracted from Mr Anderson and Reinhold Forster's observations, and the verbal account of some of the most knowing of the navigators: with some anecdotes that happened to them among the natives (1787). This so-called 'second' edition (attached) replaces that first version.

My main objective was to track down institutional copies of Shaw's iconic work, providing locational certainty to extant copies. To date (January 2014), 65 copies have been noted. These include 56 institutional copies, five privately owned copies, one currently appearing on the open market via an e-booksite (Franklin Brooke-Hitching copy; No 46), and three that remain mysteriously out there: the Keith-Cox copy sold through Christie's and which does not match provenance description supplied; the Sandwell (Vancouver) copy, supposedly bound in a modern 20th century binding and bought by Richard Sandwell from an American paper industrialist in 2005; and the copy once owned by Dr T. M. Hocken (Dunedin). As I mentioned in the first draft, it is a pleasing increase from the traditional '45' known copies.

The link to the pdf is in OUR Archive (Otago): http://hdl.handle.net/10523/4573

There will still be gaffes in this document; they are all mine. Nevertheless, please spread it around to other interested folk.
Cheers
Donald
**
Dr. Donald Kerr
Special Collections Librarian
University of Otago
P.O. Box 56
Dunedin, New Zealand
Phone: (03) 479-8330
University of Otago Centre for the Book: www.otago.ac.nz/books/about/<http://www.otago.ac.nz/books/about/>
Bibliographical Society of Australia and New Zealand http://bsanz.org/
**
Current Exhibition: Rare Delights III. Recent Additions to Special Collections.
20 December 2013 to 14 March 2014
http://www.library.otago.ac.nz/SpecialCollections/exhibitions.html

**
'Happy, intense absorption in any work, which is to be brought as near to perfection as possible, this is a state of being with God, and the men who have not known it have missed life itself.' - D. H. Lawrence