I assume you've sent the link to Designing Libraries http://www.designinglibraries.org.uk/

This looks to me to be a good resource that coordinates a lot of information in one place.

Another aspect of *flexible* design that might be relevant is unmanned operation to extend opening hours. I've just completed some work on mapping out the technology factors for a non-UK public library service that is planning to pilot 'Open Libraries' this year. I have created a brief page on the issue on the Local Government Library Technology (LGLibTech) wiki

http://lglibtech.wikispaces.com/Unmanned+Open+Libraries

It contains links to some helpful resources including:

A New ‘Open Library’ Concept. By Jens Thorhauge, Director General, Danish Agency for Libraries and Media. Scandinavian Library Quarterly, Volume 44 NO. 4 2011. The author says: “The open library concept demonstrates that it is possible to create institutions that are under the protection of the public and are designed to meet citizens’ needs in a flexible way”

It stirred up some controversy on this list a while back. A good summary is in "Unstaffed Libraries (a contradiction in terms?)" Stop the privatisation of Public Libraries [blog] Thursday, 5 July 2012

I understand some UK public libraries are looking at the idea again?

Ken

Ken Chad Consulting Ltd

Tel +44 (0)7788 727 845. Email: [log in to unmask]  www.kenchadconsulting.com

Skype: kenchadconsulting   Twitter: @KenChad   LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/kenchad