Hi Ed

I was interested in your 'Friday puzzler' specifically because, with my colleague Derfel Owen, I have recently been collecting stories of student engagement from around the world, now published by Emerald in the 'Student Engagement Handbook', and including a chapter from Nottingham Trent. You are right that the term 'student engagement ' is very 'fuzzy', and I'm not sure we've clarified the meaning of student engagement in the book - indeed possibly the opposite. However, these stories illustrate well the three distinct areas you mention (curriculum, QA and community).

They also demonstrate some excellent examples of how students, in your words, can be drawn into 'being involved in processes and mechanisms to change the way that universities operate'. It has been exciting to see that there have been initiatives worldwide, from very different contexts and underpinned by different philosophies, highlighting what can be achieved through giving attention to collaboration with students in change processes. So I don't think we should assume that students won't engage with change, but that we have to work really hard to find ways to 'entice' them (in the words of an Exeter student) and to involve them in genuine and meaningful activity.

I'm not wanting to sell this book to you, or anyone else, as it is very expensive. I do, however, think it is worth mentioning because it may be helpful to you in characterising your new role; also because I felt humbled to collect chapters from so many people who have been putting such enormous amounts of time and energy into characterising student engagement, into changing the educational environment, and into ensuring that students are given opportunities to engage in numerous and complex ways with their education... and these stories are worth reading.

Best wishes,

Liz.

Elisabeth Dunne

Head of Student Engagement and Skills