Dear all

I’ve just changed role and am taking on a role with a strong focus on student engagement.

I feel that the term ‘student engagement’ is often a bit fuzzy and appears to include  at least three distinct areas of work:

·         Engagement with the curriculum (Kuh, NSSE and friends)

·         Engagement with QA processes (QAA in particular)

·         Engagement with the wider university community and beyond (clubs & societies, students’ union politics, causes, self-perceptions as societal change agents etc.)

I’m looking a lot at the QA literature at the moment and am really struck by the fact that it doesn’t problematize student engagement enough. In an age where young people are apparently less engaged with political movements, or see themselves as less capable of transforming society for the better, why would they naturally sign up to being involved in processes and mechanisms to change the way that universities operate?

I wanted to just check whether or not this is a valid assumption and have been recommended: http://www.hansardsociety.org.uk/research/public-attitudes/audit-of-political-engagement/. There are also reports in the Understanding Society resource, for example https://www.understandingsociety.ac.uk/2013/08/01/cultural-activities-linked-with-young-people-volunteering

I also use the Sodexo Student University lifestyle survey http://avanconspourluniversite.sodexo.fr/documents/student-survey-uk.pdf for background reading about students

I find stuff like this quite useful for helping to avoid assumptions and wondered:

·         Does anyone else have useful evidence about young people engaging/ disengaging generally?

·         Does anyone have useful reports that they refer back to help keep an overview of the current student body?

Hope you don’t mind the Friday puzzler

Ed

Ed Foster

Student Engagement Manager

Nottingham Trent University

0115 848 8203

NTU is hosting the European First Year Experience Conference, 9-11 June 2014

Deadline for submissions Friday 24 January

www.ntu.ac.uk/EFYE2014

#EFYE2014

cid:image002.png@01CEFC0F.697CD220

DISCLAIMER: This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University. Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.