From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Peter Insole
Sent: 20 January 2014 10:42
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: PDF/A reports

Dear all,

Just picking this up again because we have just put all our archaeological reports on Know Your Place in pdf/a format.
http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/knowyourplace/?service=HER&maptype=js&layer=Archaeological+reports&extent=633.8106426212471&x=358726.83039116073&y=172536.98882397762

We will no longer be taking hard copies, but have deposited our entire collection at Bristol Record Office. We now only accept pdf/a reports and advise contractors that a hard copy should be sent to the record office and for all fieldwork a hard copy should form part of the project archive deposited at Bristol City Museum.

We are actually in the process of moving our entire physical archive to the record office in readiness for an expected office move that will occur in the next 12-18 months. At our new location we will not have any storage space. This has raised the question about our role as an archive with our conclusion being that we are not well equipped to store material (photos, plans, paperwork etc) partly because of the storage capacity but also because we can't ensure an optimal storage environment for material such photos, but also arguably paper reports. The same can also be argued for digital archives so we are working in partnership with the record office to create a city digital archive.

This raises other questions along the lines of 'that's all very well for Bristol who still has a record office and a museum that takes archaeological archives but what about an authority without such benefits?' which just demonstrates the difficulties in having standard approaches in a very varied heritage sector. As authorities move more and more to a private sector model of office space provision (where storage space is a luxury because every square foot or server space has a monetary value) our assessments about how safe our archives are and how we deal with them will become increasingly important.

Best wishes,

Pete

Help protect our environment by only printing this email if absolutely necessary. The information it contains and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are only intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may be unlawful for you to use, share or copy the information, if you are not authorised to do so. If you receive this email by mistake, please inform the person who sent it at the above address and then delete the email from your system. Durham County Council takes reasonable precautions to ensure that its emails are virus free. However, we do not accept responsibility for any losses incurred as a result of viruses we might transmit and recommend that you should use your own virus checking procedures.