Dear all,

We would like to invite you to submit a contribution to this exciting session at the European Geosciences Union General Assembly in Vienna (27 April - 2 May 2014):

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14740

TS3.3/ERE5.3
Internal dynamics of salt structures, salt rheology and feedbacks between intra- and suprasalt processes

Convener: Janos L. Urai
Co-Conveners: Frank Strozyk , Hemin Koyi , Joyce Schmatz, Bruno Vendeville

In recent years rapid advances in our understanding of internal dynamics of deformed salt have been made. New data on long-term rheology and mechanical couplings come from inversion of geomechanical simulations, microstructural studies and laboratory deformation experiments. 3D seismic data and numerical simulation were used for structural analyses of the salt interior. This has generated new hypotheses on the coupling between internal deformation of salt and the evolution of supra-salt sediment architecture.

This work is relevant for fundamental understanding of the dynamics of salt basins, the evolution of hydrocarbon systems, predictions of the long-term performance of nuclear waste repositories in salt, and for the design of storage caverns. We invite contributions to this interdisciplinary field, ranging from 3D seismic studies, numerical and analogue modelling of salt deformation, field studies, microstructural and laboratory studies of salt deformation as well as applied studies, to create an integrative discussion.

Information on abstract submission can be found
here:http://www.egu2014.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html.

General information on the EGU General Assembly 2014 can be found here : http://www.egu2014.eu

Deadline for abstract submission - 16 January 2014, 13:00 CET

If you have any questions concerning our session, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Janos, Frank, Hemin, Joyce, Bruno

Prof. Dr. Janos L. Urai
Structural Geology, Tectonics and Geomechanics
RWTH Aachen University, Lochnerstrasse 4-20
D-52056 Aachen, Germany
T: +49 241 809 5723  M: +49 151 140 42552
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.ged.rwth-aachen.de