Dear colleagues,

Happy (and pressure-free) New year!

we would like to remind you the following session at the next EGU General
Assembly in Vienna (27 April - 2 May 2014) – see description bellow.

!!! IMPORTANT !!!: We are happy to announce that an additional EMU travel
grant of 400 Euro for promising young scientist is available for this
session! Potential candidates can submit their abstract via email to one of
the conveners till January 16th, 2013 (same deadline as for the abstract
submission). This EMU grant is in addition to the normal EMU Program.

GMPV10 - Deviations from Lithostatic Pressure during Metamorphism: fact or
fiction?

Convener: Lucie Tajcmanova
Co-Conveners: Ralf Milke, Holger Stunitz, James Connolly

Invited speakers:

P. Burnley (University of Nevada); O. Plümper (Utrecht University); J.
Vrijmoed (University Lausanne); J. Wheeler (University of Liverpool)

Mineral reactions have mechanical effects that may result in the development
of pressure variations even on a hand specimen or grain scale and thus are
critical for interpreting microstructural and mineral composition
observations. Such effects may fundamentally influence element transport
properties and rheological behavior. Considering the interplay of
metamorphic reactions and mechanical properties is therefore critical for a
correct interpretation of microstructural observations in metamorphic rocks
as well as for quantification of the processes. Recent microstructural
observations and mechanical models taking into account this interplay
question our current quantification approach in metamorphic petrology based
on the homogeneous pressure assumption. Moreover, recent more common
observations of ultra-high-pressure mineral phases in metamorphic rocks also
question the simple conversion of pressure estimates into depth through the
equation for lithostatic pressure.

Here, we encourage presentations focused on the interplay between
metamorphic processes and deformation on all scales, on the rheological
behavior of crustal rocks and time scales of metamorphic reactions in order
to discuss

(1) how and when pressure variations can be maintained at geological
timescales,

(2) modelling of systems with pressure variations,

(3) the impact of non-lithostatic pressure variations on geodynamic
reconstructions.

Contributions from natural samples, experiments, as well as theoretical and
modelling studies are welcome.

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:

Abstract submission:                     16 January 2014, 13.00 CET

Deadline for Early Registration:      4 April 2014

RELEVANT LINKS:

to the session description:

http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14814

abstract submission:

https://administrator.copernicus.org/authentication.php

EGU 2014 main web page: http://www.egu2014.eu/

We are looking forward to meeting you and discussing with you in Vienna!

Best regards,

Lucie, Ralf, Holger & Jamie

Prof. Lucie Tajcmanova

IGP-ETHZ