From: FSL - FMRIB's Software Library [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Earl
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2014 10:36 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] FSL5 FEAT6 epi_reg problems with FLIRT BBR on monkeys

Mark,

Thank you for checking in.  That’s very thoughtful.  I am going deeper down the rabbit hole investigating white matter segmentation effects on performance (due to the strong intensity inhomogeneity favoring intensities in the posterior of the brain).  The problem still appears to stem from the point in the epi_reg script, line 365 I think, (with fieldmap on-board) where the white matter segmentation gets used, here:

$FSLDIR/bin/flirt -ref ${vrefhead} -in ${vepi} -dof 6 -cost bbr -wmseg ${vout}_fast_wmseg -init ${vout}_init.mat -omat ${vout}.mat -out ${vout}_1vol -schedule ${FSLDIR}/etc/flirtsch/bbr.sch -echospacing ${dwell} -pedir ${pe_dir} -fieldmap ${vout}_fieldmaprads2str $wopt

I say this because I compared the ${vout}_1vol in the case of no BBR versus the case with BBR and the results were different (with BBR the image shifted largely anterior, superior, and I think left).

I am trying a few different segmentation methods to get a better “bias field” correction and segmentation post-correction.

Warm Regards,

Eric Earl, Research Assistant 2

Fair Neuroimaging Lab