We are pleased to announce two PhD studentships in medical imaging:
Experimental neuroimaging with Focal MEG

Type of employment: Fixed-term employment, 4 years if full-time studies
Extent: 100 %
Location: Sahlgrenska Academy, Göteborg
First day of employment: As agreed
Reference number: UR 2014/16
http://www.gu.se/english/about_the_university/announcements-in-the-job-application-portal/?languageId=0&disableRedirect=true&id=19144&Dnr=591352&Type=E

This project targets stress-induced heart disease (SIHD) with an
experimental neuroimaging technique: Focal MEG. The PhD student will be
involved in the planning and execution of medical research studies that
explore the neurophysiological signaling pathways responsible for the
spectrum of responses to arousal we have observed in the general
population.

These arousal responses are rapid—occuring in less than a heartbeat—and
strongly correlated with long-term trends in blood pressure and heart
disease. State-of-the-art MEG—like the recently installed NatMEG system to
which the student will have access—adds the time-dimension to neuroimaging,
allowing one to see where, when, and how long brain activity occurs. Our
experimental Focal MEG system improves the sensitivity of MEG; this project
will help develop and validate this beyond state-of-the-art neurimaging
system. Participants in the studies will be recruited from ongo ing studies
that are presently led by the supervisory team at the SUH Department of
Clinical Neurophysiology. By combining next-gen neuroimaging with groups of
subjects that have been well characterized in ongoing studies, we hope to
identify a biomarker for SIHD.

The PhD student will thus have access to a unique research infrastructure
(NatMEG, Focal MEG, as well as standard fMRI, EEG, ECG, etc.) and be
supervised by leading clinical and experimental researchers. Not only will
the finished PhD be well educated, but he/she will have a solid foundation
for a career in testing clinical issues in experimental environments. When
this project is completed, we hope to have identified clinically relevant
and non-invasive markers that lead to a better understanding of the
underlying physiological mechanisms for SIHD.

*This PhD position is funded via doctoral grant during the first year and
doctoral studentship during the last three years, and leads to a doctoral
degree.*
Automatic lesion detection in brain images

Type of employment: Fixed-term employment, 4 years if full-time studies
Extent: 100 %
Location: Sahlgrenska Academy, Göteborg
First day of employment: As agreed
Reference number: UR 2014/17
http://www.gu.se/english/about_the_university/announcements-in-the-job-application-portal/?languageId=0&disableRedirect=true&id=19144&Dnr=591353&Type=E

A well-established and validated approach to anatomical image segmentation
is to use image registration to propagate anatomical labels from multiple
atlases to a target (patient) image. We have developed MAPER, a tool that
implements this approach for the segmentation of structural magnetic
resonance images of the brain. MAPER is currently the most accurate and
robust method for segmenting the whole of the human brain into its
constituent structures. We have shown its usefulness in particular for
measuring markers of neurodegeneration, for example in Alzheimer's disease.

The drawback of atlas-based segmentation methods is that some injuries or
disease processes lead to the appearance of focal brain lesions (edema,
bleeding, tumours, etc.). These are not normally represented in the
atlases, and are therefore frequently mislabelled. Addressing this problem
will potentially lead to novel applications of automatic image analysis:
decision support in the management of stroke, quantitative monitoring of
recovery after head injury or brain surgery, objective evaluation of the
changes caused by brain tumours and brain cancer treatment, measurement of
disease progression in multiple sclerosis, seizure focus identification in
epilepsy, and many others. The goal of this project is to develop the
capability of automatically detecting and measuring lesions and to validate
it on real-world imaging data that we will access through collaborations
with clinical experts in the relevant diseases.

*This PhD position is funded via doctoral grant during the first year and
doctoral studentship during the last three years, and leads to a doctoral
degree.-- *
Rolf A Heckemann, MD PhD
Professor of Medical Imaging and Image Analysis
MedTech West <http://www.medtechwest.se> at Sahlgrenska University Hospital
University of Gothenburg
Sweden