Dear Krista

Thank you again. I will perform the analysis which you suggested and try to look more deeper about the results

Best

Paul

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:08:03 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Different melodic results
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Paul,

The variance normalization of the timeseries is helpful at the lower-level melodic (the one you will re-run with random inputs many times). See the paper below for description of variance normalization.
IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MEDICAL IMAGING, VOL. 23, NO. 2, FEBRUARY 2004
Christian F. Beckmann* and Stephen M. Smith
Probabilistic Independent Component Analysis for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging

But at the meta-ICA level the noise is for the most part removed into noise components and the data is therefore in a different stage. It is essentially not applicable at the meta-ICA stage. I do not have an image readily available. But you can run your meta-ICA (formatted as a single-session ICA as you did, letting the "-a " argument default to that) without the "--vn" argument and separately with the "--vn" argument to see the difference for yourself. Again, we run the meta-ICA with the "--vn" argument for the paper citations I provided previous.

All the best,
Krista