Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:20:02 -0600
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FSL] Different melodic results
To: [log in to unmask]

Hi Xi,Others have encountered this problem as well, that is somewhat different MELODIC results depending on the random seed of the algorithm and the order of the subjects. For those worried about the impact of these effects on the reliability of the metrics, some approaches are available. One is a meta-MELODIC and another is ICASSO. Together with colleagues in my lab we tested the meta-MELODIC method and how this play out with regard to reliability in two related papers. They are listed below.

Wisner KM, Atluri G, Lim KO, Macdonald AW 3rd.Neurometrics of intrinsic connectivity networks at rest using fMRI: retest reliability and cross-validation using a meta-level method.

Neuroimage. 2013 Aug 1;76:236-51.
Poppe AB, Wisner K, Atluri G, Lim KO, Kumar V, Macdonald AW 3rd.Toward a neurometric foundation for probabilistic independent component analysis of fMRI data.

Cogn Affect Behav Neurosci. 2013 Sep;13(3):641-59.
We continue to pursue this work and are looking into ways to further improve reliability, as well as examining the reliability of different types of metrics derived from meta-MELODIC + Dual Reg results.

Hope that helps.Best,Krista