Dear Dr. Cairns,

I am writing to express my interest to contribute my paper to your book project. My paper is tentatively titled as "The Wolrd: Walking in Beijing." Below is the abstract.

“Beijing World Park” (“The World”) consists of the worldwide architectural landmarks in miniature. Its slogan is “Walking around the world without leaving Beijing.” Why is walking around “The World” (like) walking around the world? What is the significance if walking only becomes a spectacle activity? In Jia Zhangke’s film, The World (2004), such landmarks simply pass in front of tourists’ gaze on a sightseeing train, instead of the spectator touring around them. Walking, as a way of participating in a place, is not needed. Speed compresses reality into the ‘phantasmagoric’ spectacle.

The essay will discuss how “The World,” a miniature of the “world,” is also the miniature of the spectacle Beijing, which misrepresents Beijing in cultural and anthropological terms, does reflect represent the political economy in Beijing. “The World” concretely manifests the abstract power of capitalist ideology and the superficial understanding of modernization. Connection between landmarks in “The World” is empty. Heterogeneous relationships in the anthropological Beijing are screened out.

The World ends with the following conversation: ‘Have we died?’ ‘No, it is just the beginning!’ Tao, the main character in the film, wants to escape from ‘The World’; however, being imprisoned in the eternal return of the spectacle, she is already in the world. What is the possibility of escape if there is no inside and outside distinction? If there is only the eternal return of the spectacle ‘walking’ in Beijing, how can she, being intoxicated in a phantasmagoric state, learn from Tao?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,
Ian Ho-yin FONG
The Chinese University of Hong Kong