Apologies for cross-posting

Past, present and future: 25 years of CAQDAS
1st - 3rd May 2014, Horsley Park, Surrey, England
2nd Call for Papers
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/events/2013-2014/140501-CAQDAS2014.htm

The use of computers to facilitate qualitative analysis is not new, with the first packages becoming commercially available from the mid- 1980s. 1989 saw the first ever conference on qualitative software, convened by Ray Lee, Nigel Gilbert and Nigel Fielding. This conference, 25 years later, presents the opportunity to reflect on where we have come from, where we are now, and where we are going in the field of Computer Assisted Qualitative Data AnalysiS (CAQDAS).

Confirmed speakers include
Dr Grant Blank<http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/?id=177> Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford, UK
Professor Nigel Fielding<http://www2.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/people/nigel_fielding/> CAQDAS Networking Project, University of Surrey, UK
Professor Simon Lindgren<http://www.umu.se/sok/english/staff-directory/view-person?uid=sili0001&guise=anst2> Department of Sociology, Umea University, Sweden
Professor Clive Seale<http://www.brunel.ac.uk/sss/sociology/staff-profiles/professor-clive-seale> Department of Sociology, Brunel University, UK

For more information see the website
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/events/2013-2014/140501-CAQDAS2014.htm

Abstract submissions
We invite abstract submissions for oral paper presentations and posters around the following themes:

1.       The role of methods teaching in learning to use qualitative software

2.       Software supported visual analysis

3.       Big data, social media analysis, text mining

4.       Software supported mixing of methods

5.       Collaborative working in the context of qualitative technology

6.       Writing and representing qualitative findings

Abstracts must:

-          Not exceed 300 words

-          Have a clear title and state which conference theme they fit into

-          State authors' name, organisational affiliation and role (e.g. student, research fellow, lecturer etc.)

-          State whether the abstract proposal is for an oral paper presentation or a poster

-          Be written concisely and clearly in English

-          Be submitted as a one page MS Word document (not a PDF) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

-          Be submitted by Friday 31st January 2014

Please note we will NOT be accepting oral papers describing the results of research undertaken using qualitative software. The focus is on the innovative use of software itself - i.e. for particular methodological approaches, types of data, project dynamics or representing findings; on ways in which CAQDAS packages are being taught; implications arising from developments in the field; or limitations of CAQDAS tools for particular approaches.

Proposals will be reviewed by the programme committee and external advisors expert in the six themes of the conference. Reviewers are:
- Jeanine Evers<http://www.eversresearch.nl/english/index.htm>  Evers Research & Training, Den Haag, the Netherlands
- Graham Gibbs<http://www.hud.ac.uk/ourstaff/profile/index.php?staffuid=shumgrg>  Dept. of Behavioural and Social Sciences, University of Huddersfield, UK
- Aine Humble<http://www.msvu.ca/en/home/programsdepartments/professionalstudies/familystudiesgerontology/facultyprofiles/ainehumble.aspx>, Family Studies and Gerontology, Mount St Vincent University, Halifax, Canada
- Jennifer Patashnick<http://www.qdaservices.co.uk/2.html> Qualitative Data Analysis Services, Boston, US
- Christina Silver<http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/people/christina_silver/index.htm> CAQDAS Networking Project, Guildford, United Kingdom

Conference proceedings
It is the intention to publish proceedings of the conference. Details will be provided once arrangements have been finalised.

Software break-outs
Representatives from many leading CAQDAS software companies will be at the conference and several software companies are sponsoring the event. There will be opportunities for delegates to meet with developers, to find out about future developments and receive advice about the use of software tools.

Best wishes
Christina
Dr Christina Silver
CAQDAS Networking Project, Day Courses in Social Research
Department of Sociology, University of Surrey
Guildford, GU2 7XH, UK

CAQDAS 2014 Conference : 25 Years of CAQDAS - 1st - 3rd May 2014
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/events/2013-2014/140501-CAQDAS2014.htm

CAQDAS website :  http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/research/researchcentres/caqdas/index.htm
Day Courses website :  http://www.surrey.ac.uk/sociology/study/daycourses/
Twitter :  https://twitter.com/caqdas_project