Hi all

I always have to smile when I read about SUDS and infiltration into brownfield in as much as many of these sites have been contaminated for many years with continuing infiltration and no-one has really been that bothered with.  If they are so badly contaminated they would be being dealt with as “contaminated land” or other, but in essence most are not even considered to be anywhere near that bad.  In terms of planning we are looking for betterment to reduce pollution potential, hopefully with some sensible view on costs.  If we consider cost/benefit here and we add up the costs of not allowing infiltration through contaminated soils, how does that measure up to the costs of flood defences, flood damage, impact on communities from diverting surface water rather than allowing infiltration?  How do we calculate when it is sensible to use SUDS or not and is it purely based on a tiered risk assessment based on leachability etc.   In this time of change (political,financial and environmental) should we not be changing our collective view on how we deal with this complex issue rather than polarising on one aspect ? J

Keiron Finney   Grad IOSH, MSc, MCIWM, MRSC, CChem, CSci, CEnv, Chartered Waste Manager

Director

Exea Associates Limited

Mobile: 07939625002

Home: 01902 742639