Hi,

I’m a solo librarian at a small charity library where I’m doing all original cataloguing.  I’m in the middle of a giant stockcheck and it would be good to “future proof” the work I’m doing by implementing RDA but I can’t afford access to the Toolkit so I’m a little stuck.  I have implemented small changes (e.g. get rid of rule of 3 for authors, illustrated instead of ill.) but I’m wondering where to take it next.  I need to decide whether to push the trustees to invest the money in RDA but I would need to prove the benefits for the collection and the users so I’m interested to hear how it is going at other libraries, particularly in rare books and special collections.

I’m also limited by the fact I have to do everything else as well as the cataloguing, so finding time to sit down and think about completely revising that is a problem in itself…

Jennie Hillyard  (@mininglibrarian)

Librarian

North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers

Neville Hall

Westgate Road

Newcastle upon Tyne

NE1 1SE

+44 (0)191 2332459
www.mininginstitute.org.uk

The Mining Institute is a registered charity and receives no funding from government sources, it is entirely supported by its members.  Any donations towards the expense of maintaining the buildings and collections are gratefully received by cheque to the address above.  We are registered for Gift Aid which means any qualifying donation is worth 25% more to us.

Would you like to receive our newsletter?  Simply reply with “SUBSCRIBE” and we will send you our quarterly update.   Alternatively, if you would prefer not to receive emails from the Mining Institute please reply with “UNSUBSCRIBE”.