As we are a small team of professional librarians who catalogue stock for all our university sites here at Oxford Brookes and are based in one office, we were able to develop our RDA knowledge while 'on the job', determining the best approach for our particular needs while working on real records. We decided we'd leave as AACR2 any records which needed minimal editing, and we documented procedures for dealing with those that would benefit from conversion to RDA, i.e.any substandard AACR2 records.  While we still have more work to do, we have formulated local practices for some specific types of materials, which are based to some extent on what our LMS is capable of handling, but we're also retaining 33X fields, which the LMS doesn't handle at present, and other main elements of RDA.  All our original cataloguing is being done in RDA.

We are using the RDA toolkit, but I think, in the main, folk are storing lots of examples of good quality RDA records they've identified and referring to those as necessary.

A basic knowledge of FRBR, we felt, was adequate - it'll come into it own at some point in the future, although I suspect we could perhaps try to understand a little more about it now if only to help with navigation around the toolkit.

Sandra