Hi Shane,

One example that comes to mind is aquaporin-z. Two protomers were found in the ASU, one contained the water channel in an open conformation while the other in a closed conformation. The structural differences are not “large” but the functional implication is.

Here is the primary citation

Architecture and selectivity in aquaporins: 2.5 a X-ray structure of aquaporin Z.

Savage DF, Egea PF, Robles-Colmenares Y, O'Connell JD 3rd, Stroud RM.

PLoS Biol. 2003 Dec;1(3):E72. Epub 2003 Dec 22.

Kind regards
Tamir

——