Thrombin cleavage of His-tags seems to work pretty well in our hands, which includes mostly undergraduates for the hands-on work. I would encourage you to closely RTFM (read the friendly manual). Thrombin is not all that specific if used at the wrong (too high) concentration, so under the worst of conditions, it may chew up your protein pretty good. We have generally found that (following directions) a series of test cleavage reactions with the thrombin concentration serially diluted by say 10X is necessary to find the optimal thrombin concentration. Once the correct concentration is found, you can scale up. (We normally scale up to 2 mg protein, which we can do in 2 mL batches.) As the thrombin degrades, the appropriate dilution changes. Maybe 10,000-fold this week, maybe 1,000-fold next month. We have obtained really excellent results using thrombin, but don't do it often. So maybe we are just lucky.

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor
Department of Chemistry