Historicising Slavery and Engaging the Younger Generation, 11 Feb, 1-2pm, Wilkins Gustave Tuck LT, UCL

The 'ownership' of enslaved men and women in the Caribbean by people living in Britain is still not widely known. And the extent to which Britain's wealth derives from slavery is even less well understood. The Legacies of British Slave-ownership project has developed an online database which uses the compensation records, a listing of all of those who received money when slavery was abolished in the 1830s, to highlight Britons' connection to slave-ownership. Of those listed, over 3000 were absentees, men and women who lived in Britain - many of whom never visited the Caribbean. The project team is now tracing the development of estates in the Caribbean held by these absentees in order to further understand how their estates were managed and transferred over time.

This information will be available on the website at the end of the project. In the meantime, we are engaging with the public about our findings through our website, the media and talks such as this one. We are especially interested in engaging with young people and are now working along with Hackney Museum to develop a programme for secondary school students concerning slavery and slave-ownership in their borough. Slavery can be a difficult subject to raise with young people. Yet, the LBS team believes that explaining the ways in which Britain was enriched by the labour of enslaved people can demonstrate that British heritage has been shaped by and therefore belongs to many people. This talk by Dr Kristy Warren (UCL's History Department) will therefore show how the database can be used, give an overview of our work engaging with young people, and provide some case studies which show the kinds of information being found in this phase of the project.

Register here: http://uclequalities.wordpress.com/events-list/9530143917/
---

UCL Diversity Month February 2014
Time, History and Generation
An exciting programme of events has been organised to celebrate diversity and examine the ongoing and evolving challenges some groups face in education, work and the wider society http://www.ucl.ac.uk/hr/equalities/diversity_month2014.php