The University of Westminster Archive is looking into digitising a collection of slides, transparencies and glass plates, the majority of which date from the 1970s-1990s. The collection includes at least 6000 transparencies and around 1000 glass plates. We are looking to have them scanned off-site by a commercial provider, and we will than apply the descriptive metadata in-house.

We would be very interested to hear from other archives who have embarked on similar projects, and would be willing to share their project plans.

In particular we are looking for the timescales involved in applying metadata – either time per image, or the number of images that a member of staff could realistically catalogue in one day. We would also like to hear (off-list) of any experiences with particular companies.

Anna McNally
Assistant Archivist

Archive Services
University of Westminster
4-12 Little Titchfield Street
London W1W 7BY
Tel: +44 (0)20 7911 5167
Fax: +44 (0)20 7911 5167
www.westminster.ac.uk/archives

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they has come to you in error you must not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action based on them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.