2014 ONE-DAY CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT & CALL FOR PAPERS AND COURSE GIVERS

The 28th annual conference of ASSESS, the SPSS Users' Group, will take place on

Friday 31st October 2014 (half-term) in the Alcuin Research Resource Centre (ARRC), University of York.

As part of this we are aiming to have four half-day workshops involving SPSS on the same day in two parallel sessions (am and pm)

in the PC lab at the same venue. A third parallel users' meeting session will be held in the ARRC auditorium on the same day and is

intended to consist of papers, software demonstrations (demos) and/or case studies involving the use of SPSS.

The committee welcomes contributions on SPSS-related topics from all academic and professional fields.

We are particularly interested in presentations (e.g. papers, software demos, case studies), workshops and posters.

These may cover areas including medicine, marketing, business, government and the environment, illustrating

graphics such as Chart Builder, GIS Maps, customising tables, statistical analyses such as multilevel modelling, structural equation modelling,

cluster analysis, factor analysis, discriminant analysis, nonparametrics and analysis of variance applied in SPSS, survey work,

utility related analyses or data mining, perhaps, using Clementine.

Other areas of interest include practical SPSS syntax tips, teaching using SPSS, Using R inside SPSS via the integrator plug-in,

practical examples of using the output management system (OMS) in SPSS, SPSS syntax, macros,  Hospital Episode Statistics,

performing bootstrapping and simulations in SPSS, handling messy data, spreadsheet management, tips on using SPSS and

experience using SPSS products and procedures. The use of new facilities or modules in SPSS and new or unusual applications of existing procedures, perhaps in areas not normally associated with SPSS, are particularly of interest.

We would be interested in anyone who might like to give a presentation or lead a half-day workshop covering these or associated topics.

We are also particularly keen to hear from STUDENTS who are SPSS users who might be interested in giving a 40 minute presentation.

Presentations from previous meetings are on our website at http://www.spssusers.co.uk/.

40 minutes is allowed for the presentations (including some time for questions) at the users' meeting and between

2 and 3 hours for the workshops. Speakers do not pay the conference fee and may also claim expenses.

If you would like to give a workshop or presentation (or even if you think you might but are not yet sure or would like to know more), please contact the meeting organiser, Peter Watson (see below).  A printable form is provided below for your convenience.

The Alcuin Research Resource Centre (ARRC) is at the University campus located in Heslington,

2 miles to the south-east of the city centre. It takes 10-15 minutes in a taxi from the

railway station. Buses also go to the University

(See http://www.york.ac.uk/admin/security/transport/bus.html).

University Parking and location details are at http://www.york.ac.uk/np/maps/.

Accommodation is bookable via tourist information on (01904) 550099 or (01904) 554455.

The meeting is open to all current users of SPSS and anyone interested in SPSS.

Come along to

* hear SPSS users talk about applications, problems and solutions

* see users demonstrate using SPSS

* learn about SPSS syntax

* learn about applying and understanding statistical methods that are used in SPSS

* hear the latest news from SPSS UK staff about product developments

* exchange ideas with other SPSS users

* suggest ideas for a better user group.

Registration forms for the meeting will be available later.

PUT ASSESS 2014 (FRIDAY 31ST OCTOBER 2014) IN YOUR DIARY NOW! A FORM IS GIVEN BELOW:

ASSESS: SPSS USER GROUP : CALL FOR PAPERS

Please complete this form to respond

            28TH ANNUAL ONE-DAY CONFERENCE, FRIDAY 31ST OCTOBER 2014

                   ARRC, UNIVERSITY OF YORK, YORK, UK

The committee welcomes contributions on SPSS-related topics  from all

academic and professional fields, particularly software demonstrations

and case studies (in areas such as medicine, marketing, business, government and the environment) illustrating

applications in SPSS  including interpretation of any output, using graphics in SPSS such as SPSS Chart Builder,

practical SPSS syntax tips, GIS Maps, customising tables, statistical analyses such as multilevel modelling, structural equation modelling,

cluster analysis, factor analysis, discriminant analysis, nonparametrics and analysis of variance applied in SPSS, survey work,

utility related analyses or data mining, perhaps, using Clementine, text mining, teaching using SPSS,

using R inside SPSS via the integrator plug-in, practical examples of using the output management system (OMS) in SPSS, SPSS syntax, macros,

Hospital Episode Statistics, performing bootstrapping and simulations in SPSS, handling messy data, spreadsheet management and

experience using SPSS products/procedures.  The use of new facilities or modules in SPSS and new or unusual applications of existing procedures, perhaps in areas not normally associated with SPSS, are particularly of interest.

40 minutes is allowed (including some time for questions) for presentations and between 2 and 3 hours for the workshops. Speakers do not pay the conference fee and may claim expenses.

If you'd like to do a presentation involving a software demo and/or case study involving using SPSS or run a half-day workshop

using SPSS on Friday 31st October 2014 or at a future meeting or are interested in contributing in another way,

please contact Peter Watson. We are particularly keen to hear from STUDENTS.

[ ] I am willing to run a SPSS half-day workshop on Friday 31st October 2014/at a future meeting

[ ] I am willing to give a SPSS presentation (e.g. software demonstration and/or case study) on Friday 31st October 2014/at a future meeting

[ ] I may be able to do one of the above. Please contact me later.

Name:

Contact details (Include E-mail if possible):

Subject of workshop/presentation:

                      ---------------------------

Return to:       Peter Watson, ASSESS, 15 Chaucer Road, Cambridge CB2 7EF.

Phone enquiries: (0)1223 355294 x801 (answerphone); (0)1223 273712 (Direct)

Fax:                    (0)1223 359062

E-mail :         [log in to unmask]

                 (put 'ASSESS' in the Subject field)

Peter Watson

MRC Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit

15 Chaucer Road

Cambridge

CB2 7EF

Direct line:  +44 (0)1223 273712

Line (via reception): +44 (0)1223 355294 x801

Fax:  +44 (0)1223 359062

SIGNOFF allstat