Lesley,

Below is an extract from Personnel Today Oct 2012 which is quite helpful.

Q Can allowing a meeting to be recorded be a reasonable adjustment for a disabled employee?

Yes. For example, an employee who is not able to take his or her own notes of a meeting due to a physical or mental impairment that prevents him or her from doing so may ask for an audio recording of the meeting as an alternative.

If a disabled employee asks to record the meeting, the employer should consider:

·    whether or not recording the meeting would remove any disadvantage that employee has; and

·    whether there are any alternative options which could remove the disadvantage; for example, would the employee be happy to rely on notes taken on his or her behalf by a companion accompanying him or her to the meeting?

If recording the meeting would not remove any disadvantage or there is a reasonable alternative way of preventing the disadvantage, the meeting need not be recorded.

From another question and this was about grievance and disciplinary meetings  so different scenario but useful re the practicalities.

An employee does not have the right to record a meeting. Meetings may, however, be recorded with the employer's consent.

In practice, recording meetings may make those taking part uncomfortable and so may not be helpful to the conduct of the meeting. As a result, rather than recording a meeting it is preferable to have a neutral person present to take notes, which may be circulated and agreed afterwards.

Regards

Sheila

Sheila Ross

HR Adviser (employee relations & equality and diversity)

[log in to unmask] ext 3691

Working pattern – Tuesday to Friday