Hi All,

A very long time ago I published a paper on this issue (based on part of my Masters thesis, reference pasted below). The Casteel 1978 study has statistical errors that undermine its conclusions. I'd suggest that the 'weight method' has some utility for very broad (e.g. inter-class) comparisons, particularly in the case of time-series data from single sites such as shell middens. For estimations of individual body size allometric equations using linear measurements are the ideal alternative.

Best wishes,

James

BARRETT, J.H. 1993. Bone weight, meat yield estimates and cod (Gadus morhua): A preliminary study of the weight method. International Journal of Osteoarchaeology 3: 1-18.

On Dec 19 2013, Christyann Darwent wrote:

>See also the following:
>
>CASTEEL. R.W. 1978. Faunal assemblages and the "weigemethode" or weight
>method. Journal of Field Archaeology 5:71-77.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris
>

>On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM, Pajx <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>  Hi Anna I agree with Simon. I know it was standard policy in zooarch
>> to weigh bones, but it is of very dubious use exactly because of the
>> issues Simon has explained. You're better off looking at methods using
>> bone size to body size. Review some of the morphometric and geometric
>> morphometric lit. There's also a fair amount in the human
>> bioarch/forensics lit. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but bone weights
>> vary immensely and are not reliable.
>>
>>  PJ Cross
>> Human Osteo/Ppath and zooarch
>> Univ of Bradford

-- Dr. J.H. Barrett Reader in Medieval Archaeology, Department of
Archaeology and Anthropology (Archaeology Division); Deputy Director,
McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research
http://www.arch.cam.ac.uk/directory/jhb41