That's very good to hear. I will have to start the quote process this
week, so any heads up with 'GridPP pricing' is very useful.

BTW: How is the sweet spot defined? GBP per HS06 or something more elaborate?

Cheers,
Luke

On 4 December 2013 22:02, jeremy maris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We have  "GridPP pricing" for R720xd  and MD1200 with 3TB disks coming tomorrow, also for C6145 and a variety of Intel processors. Sweet spot understood to be the E5-2650 v2.
>
> Jeremy
>
> --
> Jeremy Maris
> IT Services University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QT
> [log in to unmask] Tel: +44 (0)1273 678060
>

> On 4 Dec 2013, at 11:20, Wahid Bhimji wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> (sorry for your loss)
>>
>> Since then I talked to my local Dell guy.. Stewart Dickson. He was very reassuring that  Dell UK were joined up in their talking - that they were still planning to  provide LHC favourable pricing to the UK and it would be the same to all sites - he was talking to Eric etc.
>>
>> He is supposed to come back to me with a quote - based on R720xd (replacement for R510) with optional MD1200s. (With 3TB disks) .
>> He didn't do this on Monday but did let me know that this was because they needed special sign-off for the super amazing prices.
>> I can write the detailed spec then based on that. So I think for the Dell side its covered - for SM I don't know the range - or if they need us specifying a config. But those who went out to tender already will be hearing back fairly soon so I think they're on the page.
>>
>> In conclusion, I think its OK - but we should keep talking to each other and them (as much as we can given the processes that will differ in places)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wahid
>>

>> On 4 Dec 2013, at 10:51, David Colling <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear TB people,
>>>
>>> Some weeks ago we proposed a set of specs that would at least meet all
>>> our purchasing requirements. So that if Dell could get "special pricing"
>>> for that limited set of configurations then they would at least meet
>>> what people are asking for in their tender/quotes. If this was then the
>>> best buy or not would clearly be up to the different institutions,
>>> however it would at least mean that we were getting the best possible
>>> quote from dell. We should perhaps do the same thing for a supermicro
>>> configuration (or two). in the interests of fairness. There was some
>>> iteration on the storage but nothing that I saw on the CPU configuration
>>> that we suggested. I know that Eric from Dell has put some work into
>>> this. Through travelling/teaching and a family crisis (resulting in a
>>> funeral on Monday) I have not spoken to Eric in a while (about 3 weeks)
>>> which is rather embarrassing.
>>>
>>> I think that at the stage we are at we either forget this idea or move
>>> it quickly to conclusion. I am at CERN in meetings all  today so please
>>> can I ask that somebody (Wahid being the obvious choice - sorry Wahid)
>>> summarise the (I think 2) different storage options that we thought
>>> people would be asking for. Please could I also ask Adam (sorry Adam -
> [...]

  Dr Lukasz Kreczko            +44 (0)117 928 8724
  CMS Group
  School of Physics
  University of Bristol