>> I am conscious that the bad decisions on re-use of Starlink
>> document numbers happened on my watch - profound apologies!  I
>> recall entertaining private doubts at the time but was *somehow*
>> persuaded that it was best.  There were definitely arguments in
>> favour, but I now can't imagine what they were.

I checked with David Terrett, and his memory is the same as mine.
The software librarian (MDL) had a system based entirely on plain
text files (very likely 80 character width, punched cards were
still around) and VMS command procedures, and allowing document
numbers to go above 99 would have broken it.  It was felt that the
decision was local to the Project and really up to the software
librarian.  The www was not foreseen, nor a Project lifetime of
27 years.  Still a bad decision though.

Patrick Wallace
RAL Space                                            +44-1235-531198
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Oxford
Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0QX, UK         [log in to unmask]
Scanned by iCritical.