I'd suggest checking to make sure the voxel sizes in the headers are filled
in appropriately.  You can see these via the Display button (ignore the
fact that the first value is usually negative).  The reason the voxel sizes
are important is that the data are sampled every few mm.  If the headers
say the voxels are enormous, then too much data may be read for your
computer to hold in memory.

Best regards,
-John