Dear Michel,

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 08:13:59 +0100, michel grothe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Dear Christian,
>
>thank you very much for the clarification.
>Just one follow-up question:
>
>> Only GM and WM are used for normalization. All other classes are only used as prior for the segmentation.
>
>It was my understanding that the segmentation in VBM8 is purely intensity-based and does not use segmentation information from tissue-priors. Does that mean that specifying "SPM default low-dimensional normalization" uses both the segmentation and normalization algorithm from "New segment", as these two are not entirely separable in the unified segmentation approach?

Sorry, my fault. You are right that the segmentation approach in VBM8 is working without any priors. The inital SPM segmentation (New segment) is only used for removing non-brain parts of the T1 image (skull-stripping).

>Still, the native tissue maps (p*) outputted in either (normalization) case come from the VBM8-specific segmentation algorithm and should be identical, right?
Yes, the native segmentations are independent from the type of spatial normalization in VBM8.

Best,

Christian