I'd propose another metric, laterality literature:

Rselectivity=(c1-c2)/(c1+c2)

Compute for each subject and region, then contrast the two regions using a paired t-test.

====
To answer your 2 questions: In SPM, the images are initially scaled to a value of 100, so the betas are approximately on the same level. The std does not scale with the the betas as the std is related to the unexplained variance. if c1 and c2 are 10 and 9, but explain the data perfectly, then the t-statistic of the difference would be Inf as the std would be 0. The con units are close to % signal change as the images are scaled to a starting value of 100. Different brain regions will shift about a little from 100, but they are close. Thus, the con images are more reflective of the relative change than the t-statistic. A high t-statistic could mean a greater relative change or less noise and a smaller relative change. If region A doubles from c1 to c2 is that more selective than a region than change by .1 or does it depend on the noise in each region?

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren