We did our first papers together--in a conference on Herrick of all
people--and I was impressed at the time by his decision not to read it but
to speak it directly--which he did with clarity and grace.  He was a
wonderful man, learned, modest and, as has been said, passionate about
neo-latin--and other--literatures.  I will miss him.  Bill

William Oram
Helen Means Professor of English
Smith College
Northampton, MA 01063