Wow..7 years?

Sent: 29 November 2013 20:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Messaging Records Management and email records

Hi Heather

I wrote about this subject on my blog here: http://andrewwarland.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/applying-recordkeeping-policies-to-email-microsoft-messaging-records-management-mrm/

We looked at applying it where I work, however decided against it for the following reasons.

The main problem, in brief summary, was that retention policies were applied to 'personal' email and so there was no way to manage these corporately. The second problem was that, once a user left, their email inbox was 'archived' for a period of time (e.g., 7 years or more). This meant that all MRM policies were ignored while the email inbox was archived.

In the end, we realised that MRM really was only useful to dispose of short-term retention records that were likely to be still in the inbox while the employee was still working with us. The effort involved to set it up didn't seem worth it. We don't have an email archiving system (yet), but users can save emails to SharePoint libraries (via a network drive).

Andrew Warland

Sydney, Australia