RADIX..
                   I substantially agree with  Paul Barbier. But he seems to leave us in a pretty defeatist position. Is there no hope or way forward? Societies do change and can be changed, including all their self-serving components like public agencies, NGOs, private sector, professional organizations, civil society etc.. There has been substantial progress in the areas of smoking (not everywhere) and diet, and exercise, and food standards. None of these changes were initiated by those with vested interests in the status quo. but nevertheless when then saw the writing on the wall they (sometimes slowly and kicking and  screaming) did come on board. So where did the writing on the wall come from? i think it depends and it varies. In this case it has to come from us and then through the "education/information" system including especially the media. The standard reporting of disasters rarely deals with root causes, and when these are mentioned they are usually passed over lightly.  We hear all about the physical hazard events, the damage, the rescues, the humanitarian assistance, the emergency responses, the reconstruction, the use and misuse of aid ... and so forth. We need to create and provide the information about underlying causes and processes and be able to do this quickly and in usable form. Some official status and recognition of such a process would be helpful and  will eventually happen, but not easily or quickly. but maybe some media outlets looking for a new angle on the familiar and  repetitious disaster stories could be encouraged and shown how to take the lead. The resistance would be strong in some quarters. In my view it can and must be done. Ian