I join Fred in a call to break free from a disaster-centric discussion on accountability complete with its characterizations, culprits, and moral codes.  Certainly since the beginnings of the conversations in the 1980s leading up to the formation of the IDNDR, there have been calls to focus on the risk from a specific hazard, focus on the specific population at risk in their physical setting, and focus on measures to lessen vulnerability while at the same time preparing for response to an event.  The profile of successful vulnerability reduction has been shaped as part of ongoing "development" processes that create homes, schools, hospitals, villages, towns and urban places.  Those attempts to set up changes in behavior towards risk outside of those processes of development or by those whose main interest is in the response to the event have routinely failed.  Most often those most concerned about "disasters" have little knowledge of and no role in the creation of vulnerability of the built environment.  While driven by concern for human safety, the discussions on disasters have mainly led in the recent decades to assuring financial solvency of borrowers and lenders alike while doing little or nothing about the creation of risk, most often to those who have little or no control over issues that shape their physical surroundings.

The lack of regulatory capacity at whatever level wherever also reflects development processes which lack investment, as Fred points out, in regulatory practices by the actors who certainly have pronounced influence on development. These actors include sovereign states, banking and commercial interests, private sector participants of all types, NGOs and PVOs and donor agencies.  (Specifically who they are and why they act in the manner they do is beyond the discussion at hand),  We dearly need linking effect with cause as in the forensics of disaster events.  Notwithstanding what such efforts can contribute to law and order in civil society, they are necessary for the continual articulation of the use of resources in specific contexts (hazard, population and place) to ever reduce vulnerability of the built environment.

Steve