A little Prufrockian, Max? Lots of seeming going on here.

Teaching I have trouble seeing as a commodity, visible or not. But I suppose 'product' is prepared at institutions nowadays.

Not sure about the mixture of the speaker feeling his life going downhill - or at least not now offering opportunities for uphill exhilaration - and the flat stuff of minor streets and dead ends. The 'what does matter?' enquiry might be too sprawling a question. The overriding impression is of listlessness. Is this what you are seeking to do here?

Bill