Don,

Showing my age, I thought POET was the appetizer for DOET! ;-)

Sorry to be a bit of a skeptic here, but isn't MOOC just another buzzword
puffed by Stephen Downes and George Siemens to sell stale bread as a new
loaf? At one point E-Learning 2.0 was the greatest thing going, then it was
Connectivism and now it seems it is MOOCs. It seems they will do anything
to try to get their re-jigging of old ideas on everyone's lips to create a
buzz that seasoned HCI experts who remember Computer based learning,
Web-based learning, then E-Learning coming into vogue.

How is a MOOC technologically any different from any open learning object
system, such as Hypercard and MICROCOSM? What is it other a Web-based
non-portable SCORM object run by education establishments? How is it any
more than branding for something the Open University has been doing with
OpenLearn for decades?
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/

Jonathan Bishop