Hi Terry:

My comments are inline below.

Warm regards,

Cable

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 1:08 AM, Terry Loane <terry@dawsonloane.co.uk> wrote:

This issue of alleged/apparent 'dodgy dealing' by a major publishing and education company is just one example of a much bigger issue. The Pearson story centres around a blurring of the distinction between a commerical for-profit organisation and a (closely related) charity. But what we see around us in the world of education is an increasing blurring of the traditional dividing lines between the commercial, the charitable and the publicly funded.

I agree.  I would add that it is unfortunate that some nations are reducing their financial support for public education... which is accelerating this increased blurring.

You say, Cable, that

'Creative Commons consistently recommends that publicly funded...
resources be openly licensed.'

Now I agree wholeheartedly with this, but can it work at present at an institutional level? FE Colleges (not to mention academy schools) are publicly funded yet they are encouraged to work within a competitive framework. I just don't see individual schools and colleges being willing openly to share educational resources that they have created using public funding with the institution down the road with whom they are in competition for enrollments, for league table positions etc. Yet there is plenty of evidence that collaboration among teachers and among institutions leads to far more successful real learning than competition.

Two thoughts:

(1) Most of the open policies we're seeing are on discretionary / optional grants.  That is - the open licensing funding requirement does not apply to the base budgets of the public education institutions.  Rather - the open license requirement is typically put on optional grant money.  In those cases, if an educator does not want to openly licnese educational resources, that educator need not apply for those optional grants.

(2) I would argue the content educators produce with public funds is likely not what makes an educational institutions competitive or not; this is especially true in highest enrolled courses / general education curriculum.  What does make an institution competitive is: great faculty, student services, internship programs, job placement, physical location, online learning programs, etc.    What content an institution uses for Statistics 201 isn't going to make it more or less competitive.

If I am correct on #2, I wonder if it would be good for public education institution if publicly funded resources were openly licensed.

The ease with which media-rich learning resources can be created, uploaded and accessed is a huge and exciting challenge to our traditional economic and institutional assumptions about how teaching and learning (and, of course, publishing) work.

It is indeed.... and we, as educators, should be asking how we can leverage the technological and legal tools of the day to maximize teacher and leaner access to high quality educational resources.

To the extent possible, we should be driven by these possibilities / opportunities - and not be restricted by older business models.

No wonder Pearson feel threatened by OER - but so too should all of us who work in education.

I would debate that teachers / professors / educators should feel threatened by OER... quite the contrary.

I agree that Pearson will have to rethink its business models (partially) because of OER.

Cheers,

Cable

To slightly misquote L. P. Hartley:

'The future is a foreign country: they do things differently there.
'

Terry Loane