Hi Jerry

Technically the requirement to give clients the opportunity to see a report following consultation is for the OHP’s. This is related to the 2009 amendment of the GMC guidance on confidentiality – I attach information about this. Nurses are not required to do this.

However, many OHN’s also follow this procedure as best practice.

Karen

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jerry Gyde
Sent: 09 December 2013 16:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Consents

Hi,

I was after some advice in regards to consent forms. I was wondering if there was a requirement for OH Nurses to give a client the option to see a report following consultation before it is issued? Prior to a consultation, I inform a client I will give a verbal summary of the report that I intend to write at the end of the appointment and that should they wish, on the consent form, they can request a copy of the report when it is issued to their employer/Manager/HR. Is this enough or is it necessary/good practice to also offer them the option of seeing the report before it’s issued?

Thanks

Jerry Gyde

Occupational Health Advisor

University Occupational Health Service
University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ
Tel: 01603 592174        Fax: 01603 506579

Website: http://www.umsuea.co.uk/

Thank you for your co-operation.