From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Jon Cannon [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 14 December 2013 16:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] virtual tours of churches

I've done some digging on this myself in the course of researching for an OUDCE online course I'm writing on English cathedrals.

There is an absolute goldmine of single point-of-view (but one can look in any direction from the fixed point, and select various points within each building) virtual views at http://www.mcah.columbia.edu/ha/. Many great buildings throughout Europe (and possibly beyond, but I didn't explore in depth) can be found here.

Chartres, likewise, at  http://faculty.vassar.edu/antallon/chartres/vr/pano/Pano_Flash_029.swf

In general I recall stumbling on more detail of this kind for the great French gothic cathedrals than other European medieval buildings.

Virtual tours of English cathedrals include Canterbury:
http://www.canterbury-cathedral.org/visit/tour/

Exeter:
http://www.peterstephens.co.uk/virtual_tours/exeter-cathedral/2012/virtualtour.html

Bath:
http://www.bathabbey.org/Diptychimages/Web%20Page%20-%20Mini%20Tour/20100622BAP24%20Choir.html

... and Bristol:
http://bristol-cathedral.co.uk/the-cathedral/virtual-tour/

The Wells website says it has one, but the weblink appears to be broken. But Wells is also on the Columbia website, above.

However my favourite is the Google Street View content provided by Lincoln cathedral. If one starts outside the west front, one can walk inside the cathedral and move around the entire N side of the church, including popping down to the chapter house and back. That's the only English cathedral where one can come close to virtually moving round the church.

All these suffer from major issues with perspectival distortion, but are nevertheless brilliant teaching aids.