>‘I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES’, HUGH SEXEY’S THING

Youch!

MP

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:08:55 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] book announcement
To: [log in to unmask]

As some members of this list attended the original conference in March 2009, I crave George's indulgence in announcing the publication of  Clergy, Church and Society in England and Wales c.1200-1800, ed. R.C.E. Hayes and W.J. Sheils (York, 2013).  This contains nine updated/revised (some substantially) articles and one new one as follows:

INTRODUCTION Rosemary C. E. Hayes and William J. Sheils

1. TAXATION OF THE CLERGY IN ENGLAND AND WALES, c.1180-1664: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE E 179 PROJECT AND DATABASE E. Helen Watt

2. THE YORK CAUSE PAPERS 1300-1858: A NEW ONLINE RESOURCE FOR THE CHURCH COURT RECORDS OF THE DIOCESE OF YORK Simon J. Harris

3. THE PROBLEMS AND POTENTIAL OF POURING OLD WINE INTO NEW BOTTLES: REFLECTIONS ON THE CLERGY OF THE CHURCH OF ENGLAND DATABASE 1999–2009 AND BEYOND Arthur Burns, Kenneth Fincham and Stephen Taylor

4. CUSTOM, MEMORY AND KNOWLEDGE IN THE MEDIEVAL ENGLISH CHURCH COURTS Bronach Kane

5. GOD AND CAESAR: TAXPAYERS’ PAIN, HISTORIANS’ GAIN Alison K. McHardy

6. ‘FOR THE STATE AND NECESSITY OF THE REALM’: CLERICAL TAXATION IN THE REIGN OF HENRY VI (1422-61). A CASE STUDY USING THE E 179 DATABASE Rosemary C. E. Hayes

7. RAWLING WHITE, CARDIFF AND THE EARLY REFORMATION IN WALES Nia M. W. Powell

8. ‘I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES’, HUGH SEXEY’S THING: THE TAXATION OF ECCLESIASTICAL BENEFICES IN THE REIGN OF ELIZABETH Maureen Jurkowski

9. TITHE DISPUTES AND THE PAROCHIAL IDEAL IN POST RESTORATION ENGLAND William J. Sheils

10. THE CLERGY DATABASE AS A TOOL FOR ACADEMIC RESEARCH: A STUDY OF THE PAROCHIAL PATRONAGE OF THE ARCHBISHOPS OF YORK c.1730-1800   Daniel Cummins

AFTERWORD W. Mark Ormrod

There is an index.

Chapters 1-3 describe the three major, archive-based projects on which the research for most of the other articles were based.  See also

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e179/

http://www.york.ac.uk/library/borthwick/projects-exhibitions/church-court-records/project-details/

http://theclergydatabase.org.uk/

The book is available from The Borthwick Institute for Archives, University of York, Heslington, York YO10 5DD http://www.york.ac.uk/library/borthwick/