From: Museums Computer Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alun Edwards
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:24 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MCG] QR codes bad or good

Hi,

I remember when QR codes were hailed as the next big thing. Is that still the hive-mind's opinion?

I'm aware of security issues. Are QR codes future-proof so users can access them next year, or in 10 years...? Other issues?

A long time ago I shared a panel (and actually one of those 'Lost In Translation' weekends) at a museums' conference in Lillehammer with one of the inventors. However, at the recent UKMW no-one said anything about QR codes. Indeed if QR was mentioned people would pause to spit! I am about to consult with a project who plan to literally carve QR codes onto stone plaques, along with inscriptions which may prove to have more longevity?

Any comments about QR codes please?

Thanks Ally

--

Alun Edwards

T: @HurricaneAlly
L: www.linkedin.com/in/alunedwards<http://www.linkedin.com/in/alunedwards>
Tel: 01865 283347
W: www.it.ox.ac.uk/infosec/<http://www.it.ox.ac.uk/infosec/> Communications Manager for Information Security, University of Oxford | http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ Manager of RunCoCo: how to run a community collection online | www.europeana1914-1918.eu/<http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/> Project Manager of Europeana 1914-1918 | http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/eet/ Education Enhancement Team Academic IT Services

University of Oxford IT Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

__________ Information from ESET Endpoint Antivirus, version of virus signature database 9157 (20131210) __________

The message was checked by ESET Endpoint Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com