There have long been complaints that the public library service in England lacks a strategic vision and a plan to develop a modern service that meets the diverse needs of users and potential users.

The attached strategy was published for public consultation in Ireland where national and local government face similar financial pressures but have recognised the value of and necessity for a strategic approach to the development of the public library service.

May I suggest that we should all work in 2014 to encourage the development of a similar strategy for the English library service that can be widely supported and put into action. I have no doubt that such a move would be widely welcomed and immediately change the nature of the current debate about libraries.

I wish you a very happy Christmas.

Frances Hendrix
Martin House Farm, Hilltop Lane, Whittle le Woods, Chorley, Lancs, PR6 7QR
Tel:  01257 274 833.   Mobile: 0777 55 888 03