I often have to inform students of the existence of the little known ‘erroneous apostrophe’, explaining it’s the type I occasionally slip into the text just to check they’re paying close attention… ;-)

Steve

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Hardman
Sent: 17 December 2013 16:03
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Criteria writing and meaning

My own heart sinks to see that my previous email contained an erroneous apostrophe! (it's measurement)

On 17 December 2013 16:01, David Hardman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

George,

It seems to me that you've misinterpreted my own email!

Firstly, Elizabeth had raised the suggestion that certain concepts relevant to understanding an essay question could be explained in class - so that was indeed already part of the discussion, not something I introduced.

Second, who are these people in the thread that you believe are arguing against "clarity"? Certainly not me - but my point was really about where clarity begins and ends. I completely agree that a question using the term "critically critique...." does represent a failure of clarity on the part of the question-setter. I also think that at some point in an undergraduate's education, ideally nearer the beginning than the end. it is helpful to explain what is expected when we ask a student to "compare and contrast", "critique", "evaluate", etc. But should we be spending time explaining what we mean by "evidence", "information", etc? I don't think so. Incidentally, "information" may be an abstract concept, but as most of us understand it is already an everyday term. By contrast, its technical meaning, let alone it's measurement, is something that most of us could not explain without looking it up in a reference source.

However, perhaps I am wrong and we do indeed need to explain words like "evidence" and "information". But my point remains - where is the cutoff between what we should expect students to know and what we have to explain? One of the problems raised about such terms is that they are "abstract", but what does "abstract" mean? Isn't abstract itself an abstract word? We are exhorting our students to write in "plain" (another abstraction!) "everyday" language, but how are we gonna feel if, like, they start writin' essays in textspeak an' stuff? Lol!

David