Fair point George, it is true – sometimes the alternative doesn’t always work. Language does evolve, but there must be a baseline for academic quality and consistent guidelines across an institution. I would have been more generous in marking my work…!

From: Wilson, George [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 03 December 2013 13:46
To: Beeson Helena; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Grammar pedantry

So, I mean, john sutter’s, like, right.

don’t no why he insists on capitals but.

S’pose he wants 2 meet the queen.

On the other hand, the apparent mass indifference to the use or abuse of split infinitives and other grammatical faux pas seems to me to be no reason for those who do still care to abandon their posts. Victorian Grammar may no longer be regarded as correct but I’m yet to be convinced that what currently fills the void is in any remote way an improvement.

A pedants’ revolt is called for…………………..

Keep the infinitives whole and splice the sprouts!

Helena-

which we talked through”                             Through which we talked, surely!

academic writing is concerned now”           Academic writing is now concerned, please.

“?!”                                                                 Disgraceful!

And I’m not sure one can have attitudes “about”.

Apart from that, a reasonable attempt, I feel. 60%, could do better!

GW