I think I have my answer! Split infinitives do not appear to be important in academic writing any more.

Thank you to all who replied for your perspectives!

From: learning development in higher education network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of John Sutter
Sent: 03 December 2013 13:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Grammar pedantry

Hi all,

I must say my jaw rather dropped at the split infinitive post. For all the apparent value placed in most of our institutions placed on the ability to be 'critical', there seems to be very little corresponding awareness among academics of even the basics of a modern critical approach to language - utterly crucial given the way language underpins education. It seems most universities (or teaching staff) simply don't understand that 'correctness' is an extremely problematic concept in linguistics these days, that language and power are highly intertwined, and that 'grammar' is often used to socially discriminate and exclude (like wot accent is, though that's less socially acceptable nowadays).  The split infinitive 'correction' is the equivalent of being excluded from a garden party because you're holding your teacup the wrong way, or because you is not white...

I could go on for pages about this!

All best

John

John Sutter
Learning Enhancement and Support Manager (Language and Learning Development) Canterbury,
University for the Creative Arts
New Dover Road
Canterbury
Kent