Dear Forum members.

As part of English Heritage’s HER support strategy, we are continuing to try and keep alive the lessons we have learned from projects that have touched on improving working practices within local planning authorities. A number of these relate specifically to Conservation Officers and the HER, either seeking to improve data content and access, or developing closer working relationships in an attempt to understand each others’ user requirements.

IHBC (The Institute of Historic Building Conservation) has been fantastically supportive and has been publishing articles in their members’ magazine Context. Following an introductory text by Richard Morrice in July, and a follow up article in September, we have an agreement to publish 4 more, loosely based on HER21 projects but from the perspective of the Conservation Officer. This won’t be possible for all of them if the CO has moved or been made redundant but hopefully a number will.

Obviously, in the spirit with which the work is intended, we recommend you go and have a chat with your friendly Conservation Officer and ask to have a look at their nice shiny hard copy. Failing that, find the introduction and the first article by Sarah Harrison from Lincolnshire as PDFs in the file store in the IHBC Context Articles folder.

I’ll update the folder as they come out.