  Dear colleagues, we first would like to wish you a happy and
geologically exciting new year. We would also like to remind you there
is still time to send your abstracts to the next European Geosciences
Union (EGU) General Assembly in Vienna (27 April - 2 May 2014), in
particular to our session:

TS1.2/GD7.9 -* TRANSPRESSIONAL/TRANSTENSIONAL DEFORMATION AT OBLIQUE
TECTONIC SETTINGS*

Convener: *Manuel Díaz-Azpiroz* (Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Seville,
Spain)

Co-conveners: *Dyanna M. Czeck* (University of Wisconsin-Milwakee, USA),
*Carlos Fernández* (Universidad de Huelva, Spain), *Karen Leever* (GFZ
Potsdam, Germany)

In plate tectonics, the rotational relative displacements of
lithospheric plates imply that oblique plate boundaries must be the
norm, rather than the exception. Oblique displacement includes a lateral
and an orthogonal component, which can be convergent (Transpression) or
divergent (Transtension). Therefore, a better understanding on the
kinematics and the mechanics involved in transpressional and
transtensional deformation is crucial to the knowledge of the processes
that take place at plate tectonic boundaries. Transpression was first
modeled by Sanderson and Marchini in what has become one of the most
cited papers in Structural Geology. Now, thirty years after its
publication, their proposal is still current, and many Structural
Geology and Tectonic studies are partly based on it. Subsequent
kinematic models have become progressively more complex, including
transtension (kinematically equivalent to transpression but with a
divergent, rather than convergent orthogonal strain component),
triclinic symmetries arising from oblique simple shear and/or coaxial
extrusion, general coaxial strain, deformation zones with migrating
limits, etc. These have helped to understand many natural deformation
zones, at different tectonic settings, that could not be explained by
more simple models. Still, there are several aspects, some of them
currently ongoing, that will improve our knowledge of deformation at
oblique tectonic settings, such as heterogeneous deformation, non-steady
strain rates or the consideration of mechanical aspects. We pretend to
acknowledge Sanderson and Marchini's contribution, by proposing a broad
session covering different topics related to oblique tectonics: studies
on natural cases of deformation at oblique tectonic settings, including
oblique convergent orogens, lateral branches of orogenic arcs,
strike-slip settings or transtensional tectonics; as well as innovative
approaches on numerical (kinematical and mechanical) and analogue
modeling of transpressional/transtensional deformation. Our aim is
provoke wide discussion that would include (1) heterogeneous
distribution of simple shear and coaxial components of deformation, (2)
transpressional/transtensional zones showing strain partitioning at
multiple scales, (3) upper crustal heterogeneous
transpression/transtension or (4) tectonic uplift and basin development
related to transpression/transtension.

For any further information about the session, please contact us: Manuel
Díaz-Azpiroz ([log in to unmask]), Dyanna M. Czeck ([log in to unmask]), Carlos
Fernández ([log in to unmask]), Karen Leever ([log in to unmask]).

*IMPORTANT DEADLINES:
*

*For abstract submission: 16 January 2014, 13.00 CET
*
Links to relevant information:

About our session:
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2014/session/14725

About abastract submission:
http://www.egu2014.eu/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html

About EGU General Assembly 2014: http://www.egu2014.eu/

We look forward to seeing you in Vienna.

Best regards,

Manuel, Dyanna, Carlos and Karen

Manuel Díaz Azpiroz
Dpt. Sistemas físicos, químicos y naturales
Universidad Pablo de Olavide
Crtra. Utrera, km 1
41013 Sevilla
Tf: +34 954 348351