Masterclass Microtectonics by Prof. Cees Passchier

At regular intervals, we organize a 4 day practical Masterclass in Microtectonics at the University of Mainz. The course is intended for graduate students, postdocs and professionals who wish to learn about the deformation of rocks on the microscopic scale, and how microstructures visible in thin sections can be interpreted in terms of deformation mechanisms. The course is based on the book “Microtectonics" by Passchier and Trouw (2005).

There are still a few places available, so if you are interested please contact us as soon as possible.

Next class
The next course will take place at February 10th - 13th, 2014.

For registration please contact Anja Boehm ([log in to unmask]),
or visit our homepage (www.microtectonics.de).

Please register until January 1st, 2014.

Costs
The course fees are set at 300 Euros for undergraduate and graduate students; 400 Euros for postdocs and university lecturers. Fees for participants from industry depend on the level of consultancy required during the course and are available on request.

Consulation
It is possible to bring your own thin sections to the course: we will try to discuss their content with some private advice.

Catering and lodging
We organize drinks and coffee during the course. Accommodation has to be organized by the participants themselves.

Content
The course treats all aspects of microstructures visible in thin sections, and gives information on other possible means to study microstructures such as electron microscopy and tomography.  Topics treated during the courseare:

• What is a microstructure

• Flow and deformation

• Intracrystalline deformation

• Foliations and lineations